ink painting

Heart and Custom Art Update

Something kinda different; here’s the piece I painted for my husband for our 10th marriage anniversary last week. I was expecting this to be pretty quick since both characters have simple designs, but it actually took forever. I guess I’m still learning this style, and it’s taking a lot more layers than I anticipated.

Regarding custom portraits: Thank you all so much for your patience while I’ve been taking time to finish projects behind the scenes. I had planned to begin taking custom portraits again this week, but unfortunately I’ve had some health issues crop up. (Just part of being chronically ill, unfortunately.) I’m hoping to begin accepting custom work again next week. Thank you all for being so patient and awesome!

Tree Frog on Wood

It’s been soooo long since I’ve painted on wood. I forgot how much fun it is! I tried a few different things with this one. I used a white ground instead of the transparent one I normally use. I put it only under the frog, so you can still see the wood but the frog really pops. I also used ink instead of watercolours. As it turns out, ink is really pale on the watercolour ground and acts more as a stain. It worked fine for this piece, but I won’t be able to use it for darker areas. I actually did dip into the watercolours to add some finishing touches at the very end. I learned a lot working on this little guy, and I’m really happy with how it turned out. I definitely need to invest in some larger wood sheets in the near future.

Rainbow Carpet Python

Here’s our rainbow/holographic sticker for this month, a carpet python! Designing this guy to fit into a sticker was a real challenge, but I’m pretty happy with how it turned out. I may paint one of the rejected designs as a full painting later.

Please remember to sign up for the $5 tier or above on my Patreon any time this month for an exclusive jumbo version of this sticker. The $10 tier or above receives a jumbo, holographic version! Normal 2.5″ versions are also now live on my sticker shop.


This gorgeous girl is Lemon. Her person gave me a very free hand when painting her, and I have to say, I absolutely love how she turned out! A print of this painting will be displayed at Klub Khrome here in Fredericton as part of a Downtown Fredericton instillation of local artists.

Orange Tabby 3

Here’s the third of four portraits of this lovely boy. I tried to keep more pastel tones on his body so as not to overwhelm the naturally lighter, warm tones on his face. I think it turned out pretty well, though the scan really doesn’t portray the oranges very nicely.

Rosy Maple Moth

You all know how much I LOVE rosy maple moths. Besides having the absolute best colour scheme, they’re also super fuzzy AND are native here in NB. Alas, they’re not fans of urban areas, so I haven’t encountered any in person. Some day!This piece was a style experiment. I wanted to try painting my sticker style with watercolour and really maximize the soft look. This experiment was inspired by Vena Carr‘s work. Vena’s an absolutely amazing, local artist here in Fredericton whose work you should definitely check out!

Orange Tabby Two

Sorry for the late post this week. We’ve been having a heatwave. Not great for someone who can’t thermoregulate. 😛

Here’s the second portrait of this lovely, tabby boy! I’m especially pleased with this one. It took quite a while to get the shadows dark enough, but it was worth the struggle.

Orange Tabby 1

This is the first of four portraits of this absolutely stunning orange tabby cat! As you can imagine, he’s extremely well loved. I absolutely adored working on each piece in this little series, and I hope you all enjoy seeing them over the next few weeks.

Black Lab Puppy

Here’s a black lab puppy I painted recently for a private client. I absolutely loved painting this little guy. The pose was super fun, and working with the client was a dream.

I focused on creating a variety of edges to the shadows and balancing details to reinforce the focal point around the face. It can be incredibly difficult to create a strong focal point when using all highly saturated colours, and that’s definitely something I’m still figuring out.